Fishguard Archives

Fishguard Archives 2006

Fishguard Harbour visit of warship HMS Brocklesby

HMS Brocklesby

Royal Navy warship HMS Brocklesby under the command of Lieutenant Commander Matt Dennis will dock at Fishguard Harbour on Saturday 17th May emarking on Monday 19th. On Sunday the 650 tonne ship will be open to the public.

HMS Brocklesby sails into Fishguard this weekend in a visit designed to reaffirm the Royal Navy’s ties with Cardigan Bay. On Saturday evening, the ship’s company will welcome visitors on board including civic dignitaries and councillors during an evening reception. And a number of local youth groups and cadet organisations, including Sea Cadets and potential recruits to the Royal Navy will enjoy a guided tour of one of the Royal Navy’s most impressive warships throughout the weekend, with a chance to meet and talk to her crew.

On Sunday, 18 May, the ship will be open to the general public between 2.30pm and 5.00pm. This is a chance for visitors to learn more about life on the ocean waves and what it is like to live and work onboard a warship. Tours will cover specialist areas such as navigation, fire fighting and flood reactions, diving, mine hunting and naval warfare. Admission is free.

The ship’s Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Commander Matt Dennis Royal Navy, said: “It is a real privilege to be in Fishguard representing the Royal Navy. “I am very much looking forward to meeting members of the local community and I’m grateful for this opportunity to open our ship to the general public, giving them an insight into our lives at sea." Website.

Unveiling of Commemoration Plaque

Commemorative Plaque unveiling ceremony Detail of Commemorative Plaque Commemorative Plaque unveiling ceremony Commemorative Plaque unveiling ceremony

On Saturday 3rd May a dedication service took place on Goodwick Square when a plaque was unveiled to commemorate the people who worked on the railway at Goodwick since its arrival on 1st July 1899. Many past employees of the railway, local dignitaries and members of the public attended.

Fishguard Harbour visit by Duke of Gloucester

Duke of Gloucester at Fishguard Harbour Duke of Gloucester at Fishguard Harbour

On Saturday 3rd May hundreds of people thronged Fishguard Harbour to view a steam excursion ex Birmingham hauled by BR Pacific 71000 Duke of Gloucester. The train was hauled in by a Class 66 diesel locomotive and hauled out by the Duke.

High Court decision points the way forward for the development of Fishguard Marina

Mark Roberts owns 60 "Lord to the Manor" titles The Queen has won "squatter's rights" over large tracts of the Severn Estuary in a dispute with a controversial Cardiff businessman. Mark Roberts owns the paper title "Lord Marcher of Magor" and claimed it gave him rights to the land. The area would be worth millions if tidal and wind power was set up there. But High Court appeal judges in London said the Crown had been in unchallenged possession of the area for centuries and ownership must stay with the Queen.

The ruling is part of a complex case brought by Mark Roberts, after he tried to register ownership of land under the titles he bought between 1997 and 2003. He brought the case under the name Mark Andrew Tudor, Lord Marcher of Trelleck, one of the 60 "Lords to the Manor" titles he owns. In the past, he has used the Trelleck title to claim ownership of common land at Peterstone, Newport, and demanded some residents pay for access to their own homes. However, the law was changed in 2005 abolishing charges for access across common land, as long as people can show they have been doing it for 20 years or more.

The dispute centred on who owned parts of the Severn Estuary In the latest dispute with the Crown Estate Commissioners, who administer land owned in the name of the Queen, judges were forced to examine legislation dating back to the 13th Century at the time of the Magna Carta. The titles bought by Mr Roberts often date back to after the Norman conquest, when estates of land known as manors where handed to nobility, often in return for military service. The Lordship of Magor was acquired by Mr Roberts in 1997, and he argued it dated back to the conquest of Wales by Edward I in the 13th Century. He insisted it gave him ownership of mudflats, sand and the river bed on the Welsh side of the Severn Estuary. Squatter's rights Mr Roberts disputed that the Crown could claim what is known as "adverse possession" over one of its own subjects - in effect claim squatter's rights. Under the legislation, a person who can show they have held unchallenged possession of a piece of land or property for 12 years can claim it as their own.

However the appeal court judges, Lord Justice Mummery, Lord Justice Jacob and Mr Justice Mann dismissed Mr Roberts appeal, ruling "beyond doubt" that the same law of adverse possession "applies to both the Crown and citizen". Mr Roberts now faces a substantial legal bill, after the court also ordered that he pay costs in the case, which will be assessed at a later date.

REMAINS OF IRON AGE SETTLEMENT AND MEDIEVAL CASTLE AT MAENCLOCHOG

Excavation revealing traces of Iron Age Round House at Maenclochog.

Excavation revealing traces of Iron Age Round House at Maenclochog.

Maenclochog is a small, thriving village situated at the foot of the Preseli Hills some 10 miles east of Fishguard on the B4313 Narberth road.

Archaeologists and local volunteers digging at the village car park believe they have found the remains of a medieval castle and signs of a much earlier Iron Age settlement.

Archaeologist Duncan Schlee in front of remains of the castle wall, Maenclochog

Archaeologist Duncan Schlee in front of remains of the castle wall, Maenclochog.

One excavation revealed holes in the earth and a hearth which indicates the existence of a roundhouse of approx 12 metres in diameter (similar to those at Castell Henllys near Eglwyswrw). This indicates an Iron Age settlement sometime between 700 to 800 BC and 43 AD.

Local volunteer Lucy Elcomb excavating the Iron Age hearth.

Local volunteer Lucy Elcomb excavating the Iron Age hearth.

The second excavation revealed part of stone wall likely to be the outer wall of a Norman castle built in the early 12th century. There were further signs of a defensive bank and ditch surrounding the castle. Additional stonework on top of the castle wall could indicate the existence of a village ‘pound’. (Records exist of a castle being attacked by the ‘Welsh’ in 1215 and again in 1275.)

More intrepid volunteers taking a short break on excavating the castle wall, Maenclochog.

More intrepid volunteers taking a short break on excavating the castle wall, Maenclochog.

The excavations will be preserved and covered over on September 30th. A presentation will be made on the findings to the community in November.

The dig was organised by local enterprise organisation PLANED with the help of Cambria Archaeology and Pembrokeshire National Park, thanks to EU funding.